Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Calling in sick

   I rolled over in my uncomfortably hot covers, my eyes squinting at the digital alarm clock across the room. Strange, it wasn't ringing like it normally would. "5.50 am" it seemed to say to me in this freaky voice. For a moment, I thought about getting up and perform my usual school-going routine. As I got up, I was sickly reminded about my sickly condition. Gratefully, I sank back into my sheets, drifting back into a light sleep. I thought about what I'd miss in school today and tempted myself to wake up again. My body told me to stay put, but my studios side protested, just in case I would miss something awesome in school. Body won. " Not today...." I mumbled.

    No, I am not playing traunt today, I am merely sick. I can't remember the last time I've had to skip a day of school because my body couldn't function properly. The night before, my head was throbbing, my throat was rasp with all the constant coughing and my nose seemed like the most enthusiastic runner, keeping up a killer pace all night. Shortly after my morning wake-up, I was awoken again by the teasing rays of light piercing through my curtains. I would have to get up sometime, might as well be now.I groggily shook myself off and greeted my morning with some good cheese cake.


    As I've mentioned earlier, it's been a long while since I've fallen sick enough to skip school, and it takes an awful lot for me to skip school. Over the past few years, I've been at great pains to take care of myself. Sleeping early. Eating well. Staying positive. Exercising regularly. And above all, avoiding the plauge that is fast food ( that's right KFC, you're on my hate list ). Sadly, it seems that running your heart out in a marathon brings more burden than just sore legs and toes, no regrets though!


   Strangely enough, today has been rather refreshing for me. It's been such a long time since I've allowed some time for myself, some time for my body and mind to rest and recharge themselves to the fullest. Skipping school didn't turn out to be as bad as I thought. I got to enjoy my breakfast slowly, watch some mindless television, laze around the house, sleep for a good part of the afternoon and catch up on some witty novels ( no worries mom, I did my revision like you asked). After weeks of packed schedules and activities, It feels good to have nothing on my to-do list, even if it's for a day.


   For the longest time now, I've always been fed the mindset that life is one big race. That if I didn't get perfect grades or have the right skills, I'd definitely be sure to fall short in life and fail miserably. And so, I led life like a big race, constantly racing for a finish line that would never come. Maybe falling sick is a good thing, a sign asking me to slow down, before I blow one of my tires. I must admit, it does feel good to finally be able to kick my feet up and worry about nothing for a day. " But wouldn't lazing around like this all the time make you lazy as well? " my conscious screamed at me.


   So, which one is it? A life of hardwork and determination, pursuing big dreams and making big money? Or a life spent sniffing the flowers and lazing around all the time? There has to be a balance, a balance where I could work hard towards my dreams, and enjoy my life as well. Oh well, like a fine line in a vast desert, I'm sure that this balance will be very hard to find. Until then, I'll be content with hopping around from one spot to the other, depending on my oppurtunities. Better keep a vial of viruses handy, just in case I need another day off. 





No comments: