Sunday, November 6, 2011

Slowing it down a notch.

As I step foot into the comfort of my home, I practically kissed the floor beneath my feet, savouring the feeling of comfort and security of the sturdy structure that I take for granted everyday. The water supply never seemed clearer, the television never seemed more vibrant. Oh, and the toilet! It never seemed more.... shit-able, all prepped and ready for the coming bombing. The welcome sight of my smiling mother and jumpy dog (No I'm not cleaning your shit, I thought...) brought a tide of well-being over me once more. This is home.


I looked up towards the lighting in my house with a renewed sense of respect, it's radiant light illuminating and enabling all our daily activities. Just the night before, we were huddled in a 4-man tent, struggling with the simplest of tasks that basic lighting would've made so much easier. With only light from the Moon and our torchlights, you can only imagine what it would have been like to cook up a meal for 4 and perform leech removal surgery. Damned little bloodsuckers would come off with a vengeance, letting your wound bleed profusely even after hours of removal.


Returning home after a trip from the great wilderness would always bring feelings of such to me, feelings of a renewed appreciation for the life of comfort I have. Even after 4 years of frequent jungle visits with a band of scouts , this sense of gratitude would always come back. I guess stinking in the sweat and mud of the forest brings a greater level of appreciation in everyone. For the basic commodities and conveniences that modern technology has brought us much wonders, even taking a piss in the jungle at night had to be done with all four of us side-by-side, wiggling our wiggles in unison.

We all feared the leeches at that very moment, like somehow they could drop from the trees above, and cause much bleeding in a very peculiar place.


Unfortunately, my sense of appreciation for the things that so obviously make my life happier wouldn't always last long, much like how a candle would burn out once it's wax has melted down to it's core. I sadly admit the fact with my hands down. The comfort of my bed, the convenience of this computer, the cleanliness that comes with a shower, the relief of having a toilet nearby, all these feeling taken for granted, like it's my right to have such luxury in life. I strongly believe that these blessings from the labour of my parents should be taken into account, they've truly worked their asses off to establish a sturdy middle-class slot in society and ensure my education.

"For you never really know what you got, until you spend the night in a sweaty jungle"

Then, of course, spending the night in a jungle isn't as malicious as it sounds. Being away from all the hustle and bustle of my life granted me some time to think about my current state of affairs and share whole-hearted laughs with a group of friends. Mostly on topics we wouldn't normally converse under normal circumstances. Because secrets were well kept in the jungle.






No comments: