Monday, November 28, 2011

Feeding dogs.

As I hopped into the front seat of my dad's car when he took the liberty to fetch me from training. He made the most peculiar request. He said: " Son, we have to make that feeding dispenser for Kilo today. " Naturally, he let do all the thinking about how this would be done. Because we were heading to Singapore for four very long days. I had to storm my brain for ideas on how to build a nifty rig so that my helpful neighbour could feed our beloved Kilo.

Of course, the rig had to allow my neighbour to feed Kilo from the other side of the fence. Kilo has the penchant for mauling things down without any notice whatsoever. And we certainly didn't want to find the corpse of a sweet old lady when we got back. Accounting for other factors such as water soaking up all of Kilo's food and materials needed, I roughly plotted a design in my mind.


Success!

Even with that accomplished, I still feel that tinge of guilt because of the fact that we're leaving Kilo home alone for 4 days.
4 days without seeing us.
4 days without any treats.
4 days without going out on walks.
4 days of shitting on the porch.

For he has guarded the gates of our home for the past 8 years of his life, alerting us to every presence, warding off potential burglars, lightening up our moods and bringing that sense of security that every family needs. In my time of need, he'd be there for me, listening to my stories and worries intently, without a word of comment or interruption. Even if he was just lying there with a blank stare splashed on his his face, I'd still feel better. Comforted in that fact, that at least I could share my deepest secrets of dramatic teenage life with someone.

It scares me just thinking about it. I can't imagine being locked up in my room for 4 days, with only food and water as my company. I'd have to do ALL my business in a very unfortunate corner of the room, while staring blankly outside my window as a source of leisure. Oh, the humanity.






No comments: