Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Vendetta.

Ah yes, Valentine's day, a day where couples revel in all their juicy-touchy feelings and express themselves lavishly upon their partners. For some, it's a day to make up for all the mistakes throughout the year, a day of redemption, if I might say. And for the thousands of hormone-induced boys like me, it's the dreaded Forever Alone day, where we feel lonelier than ever, reminded of the fact that we're all alone on this day of love, with no one to share our feelings with.

Personally, I'm not a fan of this much-celebrated occasion. Love is timeless, a feeling that lingers and should be celebrated and practiced daily, not annually. And yet, strangely enough, I kinda disagree with the Forever Alone celebraters too. In my book, saying that you're 'foreveralone' only speaks to me that you need, I repeat, you NEED the courtship of the opposite sex. Hungering for attention from someone, hoping that they'll pity you and grant you your inner most desires.

And so, I stepped into class today as I would any other day, carrying out my duties and greeting my friends as usual. I had nothing special in mind. No presents, no cards, no chocolates and definitely not a special girl in mind. 'Just a plain old Tuesday.' I thought to myself. Just another day of dozing off in class and laughing my guts out with the guys, making up dirty jokes and calling each other the bastards that we are.

But then, something unexpected happened, a blessing, I might say. I stepped into class and  saw this perched precariously on my table cluttered with things:
I must admit, with the girlish decor and pretty handwriting, I thought it was from a secret admirer that wanted to court me. "OH YES!" I screamed inside. But when I was told it was a friendly gesture from a friend of mine. " Awwww....." went my brain again. I picked myself up from my post-loneliness depression and got my head straight. The guys told me that the gift is from Shell, a friend of mine from the class next door. I made it a point to myself that I'd thank her for this sweet gesture.

Somewhere during breaktime, I strutted out of class in search for Shell. We met down in the hallway, where I thanked her for that awesome gift of her's. Out of curiousity, I asked her how many of these little brownie packages did she make for others. '30' she said. I was astonished. 30?! 30 packages to fill with brownies, carefully wrap, and decored with a lovely pink ribbon that even a scout can't even decipher. On top of that, it had the names of every 30 people written down in gold marker, revolving around the card itself. 

That's a total of 90 mini brownies sliced up and about 360 names written down in gold marker! Oh, I do love to calculate the details. And so Shelley, this one's to you. For someone who not only made my day that much more bearable, but that of 30 others. You've showed me what it's really like to forgive someone and hold no grudges, even when they've treated you like dirt and kicked you when you're down, you still display the love and thoughtfulness that you once felt. 

And that my friend, takes a hear of pure solid, 24-karat gold. A heart of gold that's as rare and as expensive than any diamond money can buy. A heart that displays true and pure love in every sense of the word, expecting nothing, and yet giving everything. So here's to you, our Valentine Vendetta! 



   

No comments: